What will I be doing/involved in?
Compassionate Neighbours offer emotional and social support to local people who may be lonely or socially isolated and have a life limiting condition. We aim to build supportive and enriching connections and genuine friendships within local communities by ‘matching’ people together based on common interests, lifestyles and experiences. Meeting once a week, F2F, by phone, online or by letter, we aim to develop caring and reciprocal relationships which add to a sense of belonging
What do I need to have?
We are looking for great people who understand the importance of community, have a real desire to help others, are willing to commit to ongoing training and be part of a growing social movement to alleviate loneliness. If you are a good listener, reliable, trustworthy and compassionate we'd love to hear from you
Time commitment and duration
One session per week / fortnight of 1.5 hours
Flexible re time and day.
Where will I be based?
In the community in Edinburgh / East Lothian. Occasional meetups will be held in St Columba’s Hospice and other community settings
Who will be supporting me?
Compassionate Neighbours Lead, Compassionate Community Lead
Who else will support me?
Compassionate Neighbours Team and key staff across St Columba’s Hospice
· Interview with Compassionate Neighbours Lead and team member
· Application Form
· Two references
· PVG check
· Successful completion of training
· Volunteers must be 16 years or over
Learning & Development
· 8 hours blended training, delivered online and face to face
· Monthly online Compassionate Neighbours meetup
· Day to day support of Compassionate Neighbours team
· Regular update sessions on key topics
· Compassionate Neighbours Buddy support
· One to one review sessions
· Compassionate Neighbours social meetups
· Compassionate Neighbours handbook & induction
· The Compassionate Neighbour team, Hospice Chaplains and key team leads from St Columba’s Hospice are always available to support volunteers
· Compassionate Neighbours may claim reasonable travelling expenses for transport to and from their community setting with prior approval.
· St Columba’s Hospice provides complimentary tea and coffee to all Compassionate Neighbours, volunteers, staff, patients and families as part of the hospitality strategy.
To find out more about Compassionate Neighbours email email@example.com or call Maggie on 07785 615 028
Alternatively, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper application form.
Download a role descriptionDownload