This role is to assist in the maintenance of the Hospice gardens.
Hospice staff and volunteers are expected to reflect our Hospice Values in the way they carry out their roles, and in their interactions with each other and with patients, family members and any other visitors.
Our Values are: Care and Compassion, Respect, Trust and Partnership.
What will I be doing/involved in?
- Helping to maintain the Hospice gardens (in both No 15 and No 17 Boswall Road and the car park)
- Work involves indoor and outdoor gardening in a variety of weathers
- General gardening – weeding, pruning, clearing leaves, general tidying, lawn care, etc
- Specific projects as planned by the Head Gardener
- Undertake regular checks for Japanese Knotweed - if suspected, please inform the Head Gardener
- Ensure garden waste is managed via the Hospice’s waste management policy
What experience or skills do I need?
- Understanding of the work and values of St Columba’s Hospice. Willing to keep informed and stay updated about our work
- Be an ambassador of St Columba’s Hospice
- Follow Infection Control guidelines
- Good gardening skills
- Ability to work as part of the Gardening Team – without close supervision, but within Hospice processes
- Physically fit and with an enjoyment of gardening. Flexible and willing to work outdoors in a variety of weathers
- Friendly and outgoing and comfortable working in a team and alone
- Occasionally a patient or family member may chat to you in the course of your volunteering, in these instances confidentiality must be respected at all times
Time commitment and duration
Half a day each week, but this could also be one day a fortnight
The role will be reviewed on a yearly basis
Where will I be based?
St Columba's Hospice Care, 15 Boswall Road, Edinburgh
Who will be supporting me?
Who else will support me?
Estates & Facilities Manager, Volunteer Services team
- Application Form
- Two references
- Volunteers must be 18 or over
- Hospice Volunteer Induction Programme
- Hospice Orientation
- Team / role induction and training (with Head Gardener)
- Team meetings
- Hospice Chaplains are always available to support volunteers
- Volunteers may claim reasonable travelling expenses for transport to and from the Hospice, or the place you volunteer, e.g. one of our retail shops. Please speak to your manager about this.
- The Hospice provides complimentary tea and coffee to all volunteers, staff, patients and families as part of the hospitality strategy.
- If you volunteer for a full day at the Hospice, you can claim a free meal from the staff café or Iona Café. Please speak to your manager about this.
You can apply online here
Alternatively, please email us at email@example.com to request a paper application form, or to ask us any questions about the role
Download a role description