Graduate Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse Hospice Band 5
Starting salary: £29,510 WTE per annum (rising to £32,915 WTE per annum over time, subject to satisfactory performance)
Rotational shift allowance: 26.5% of salary
Pension: Hospice pension or remain in NHS Superannuation Scheme
Hours: Both full and part-time
St Columba's Hospice Care provides world-leading hospice care for everyone in Edinburgh and the Lothians, for free.
We’re looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic graduate Registered Nurse who can drive forward St Columba’s vision and values and ensure safe, outstanding care for patients. Together, the inpatient unit (IPU) team at St Columba’s makes a real difference to the lives of people affected by serious long-term conditions and helps set the standard for specialist palliative and end of life care.
By coming to work at St Columba’s you’ll be joining a dedicated team with a shared ambition to provide the best quality care for our patients, helping them to make the best of every moment.
At St Columba’s we provide our people with the training, personal development and support that they need to do what they do best, to learn, and grow. Most of our team tells us that they feel proud, valued, respected and inspired working at St Columba’s. If you choose to apply to join us, we hope you will share our commitment to excellence, continuous improvement and development.
Staff Nurses in our IPU work a ‘fair share’ of unsocial hours on a rotational shift pattern which includes days, nights, weekends and public holidays. You’ll find more details in the job information pack which can be downloaded from this page.
- To plan, implement and evaluate evidence based nursing care strategies for patients and their carers in an open and co-operative manner respecting the rights of the individual.
- To anticipate the changing needs of patients and emotionally prepared the patient and family.
- To participate in multi-disciplinary team discussions to inform the management plan for patients.
- To undertake bereavement meetings with the necessary support and training.
- In conjunction with Charge Nurses, lead on the day to day management of patient care
- To disseminate the management plans for the patients to the rest of the nursing team.
Skills and experience required
- Up to date NMC registration.
- A willingness to take part in studies in specialist palliative care and develop your clinical experience.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to assess complex needs of patients and plan, implement and evaluate appropriate nursing actions
- Able to demonstrate an interest in specialist palliative care/ oncology or other related field
- Enjoy working as part of a nursing team
- A passion for working with and supporting the needs of adults with a life-limiting condition, with a real commitment to delivering the highest level of care at all times.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to work collaboratively with all members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Competitive rates of pay – Starting salary on appointment is £29,510 WTE per annum and rises over time to £32,915 WTE per annum, subject to satisfactory performance.
- Rotational shift allowance – in return for working a ‘fair share’ of unsocial hours, an unsocial hours shift allowance of 26.5%* is payable each month in addition to your basic salary. *Allowance may vary depending on shift pattern.
- Holiday entitlement - 27 days per annum on appointment rising to 29 days after 5 years’ service with St Columba’s, increasing to 33 days after 10 years’ service. Plus 8 days public holiday (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- Occupational sick pay – increases as your service with St Columba’s increases
- Pension – option to continue your NHS Pension Scheme (if currently a member) or enrol in the St Columba’s Hospice pension scheme
- Education & Career development – with an on-site education centre we have dedicated Clinical Educators to support ongoing clinical professional development, including re-validation with the NMC.
- Staff Discounts - Retail discount scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employer awards - Real Living Wage employer, Investor in People employer, Health Working Lives accredited employer
- Free eye tests
- Life assurance scheme
St Columba's Hospice Care is an independent Scottish Charity, SC003634, regulated by the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR). We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. We encourage and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
How to apply
View the Job Information Pack below.
Complete the application form and email to email@example.com
For an informal chat about the role or to arrange a visit please contact our Duty Charge Nurse on 0131 551 1381.
Connect with us:
Download Job Pack & Application Form