St Columba’s Hospice Care Hospitality Team is made up of a team lead, two assistants and a team of volunteers. The purpose of this team is to help the Hospice provide patient-centred care in all aspects of catering, by ensuring that the individual catering needs of patients are met. We’re looking for volunteers with strong practical and people skills.
Hospice staff and volunteers are expected to reflect our Hospice Values in the way they carry out their roles, and in their interactions with each other and with patients, family members and any other visitors.
Our Values are: Care and Compassion, Respect, Trust and Partnership.
What will I be doing/involved in?
During your time on shift, your tasks will include some of the following:
- Discussions with the Hospitality team / Head Chef to learn the choices for the day
- Daily discussions with nursing staff to understand patients’ nutritional needs, and any other relevant information
- Discussions with individual patients, to help them make appropriate meal and snack choices, ensuring they are aware of alternatives, and how they can make a special request
- Passing orders to the kitchen
- Helping set up the Ward kitchen for meals, e.g. by turning on equipment to keep food warm
- Collecting meals from the Ward kitchen, and serving them to patients in their rooms.
- Serve different courses as required, and clear dishes from patient rooms when appropriate
- Check water jugs in patient rooms, and wash / refill as needed
- Help with tea / coffee trolley on the wards, providing drinks to patients
- Help keep ward kitchens and hospitality areas on the wards clean and tidy, following Hospice guidance on this
- Assist with restocking ward kitchen and hospitality areas
- Assist with washing up and ward kitchen cleaning
What experience or skills do I need?
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- An appreciation of this role in relation to vulnerable patients
- Supportive and caring manner
- Helpful and flexible approach
- Ability to establish good working relationships, and work well within a team
- Physically able to move / lift crockery, e.g. when serving food, or clearing dishes. Trolleys will be provided if needed.
- Physically able to use basic cleaning equipment, e.g. mop and bucket
- Good personal presentation / hygiene
- Awareness of food hygiene
- No specific catering / food service skills are needed as training will be provided
Time commitment and duration
Shifts are 7.45am- 10.45am and 3pm-6pm, daily. (2 volunteers on each shift)
We are looking for volunteers able to commit to a weekly or fortnightly shift.
The role will be reviewed on a yearly basis
Where will I be based?
St Columba's Hospice Care, 15 Boswall Road, Edinburgh.
Who will I be volunteering for?
You will report to Wilma, the Hospitality Lead, and her assistants.
Who else will support me?
Catering team, Ward team, other Facilities team members, Facilities Manager, Volunteer Services team members
- Interview with Volunteer Services staff and Hospitality Lead
- Application Form
- Two references
- PVG check
- Volunteers must be 18 or over
- Volunteer Services Induction
- Hospice Induction
- Team/role induction and training (with Hospitality team)
- Team meetings (if/as necessary)
- Hospice Chaplains are always available to support volunteers
- Volunteers may claim reasonable travelling expenses for transport to and from the Hospice, or the place you volunteer, e.g. one of our retail shops. Please speak to your manager about this.
- The Hospice provides complimentary tea and coffee to all volunteers, staff, patients and families as part of the hospitality strategy.
- If you volunteer for a full day at the Hospice, you can claim a free meal from the staff café or Iona Café. Please speak to your manager about this.
You can apply online here
Alternatively, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper application form, or to ask us any questions about the role
Download a role description