This purpose of this role is to provide support for the catering team by providing a Café service for staff, and carrying out catering duties throughout the Hospice Site.
Hospice staff and volunteers are expected to reflect our Hospice Values in the way they carry out their roles, and in their interactions with each other and with patients, family members and any other visitors.
Our Values are: Care and Compassion, Respect, Trust and Partnership.
What will I be doing/involved in?
- Set up breakfast at the counter
- Serve breakfast (generally from 9.15am onwards), charging the appropriate sum and ringing mney through the till
- Clear counter after breakfast
- Using checklists / timescale provided by kitchen staff, carry out regular stock checks within the kitchen store
- Serve lunch (generally 12.30pm onwards), charging the appropriate sum and ringing money through the till
- Keep serving area clean and stocked
- Keep tea/coffee area clean and stocked, including cutlery, serviettes etc
- Regularly clear and clean tables in the Staff Cafe
- Remove trolley to the panwash area within the kitchen when needed, empty it and stack it into the dishwasher / stack it neatly beside the dishwasher, as needed / directed
- Volunteers may occasionally be asked to help a member of staff set up catering for a special event, or to set this up on their own.
What experience or skills do I need?
- Understanding of the work and values of St Columba’s Hospice. Willing to keep informed and stay updated about our work
- Be an ambassador of St Columba’s Hospice
- Follow Infection Control guidelines
- Good people skills
- Willingness to work as part of the wider Catering Team
- Numerate (for the till)
- Able to prioritise when the Café is busy
- Willingness to undertake training in the operation of equipment within the Staff Café
- Willingness to work within Health and Safety and safe catering guidance provided
- Ability to work as part of the Catering Team – without close supervision, but within Hospice processes
- A strong understanding of the need for and importance of patient and client confidentiality and boundaries, at all times
- Confidence and sensitivity when dealing with difficult information from distressed and anxious patients or relatives
- Willingness to work as part of the wider Hospice team, and with staff and volunteers as required
- Willingness to attend group supervision, and continuing professional development updates
- Experience of working with people with advanced illness is helpful, though not essential
Time commitment and duration
Generally half a day, once a week
Shifts are 8.30 – 11.30am or 11.30am – 2.30pm
The role will be reviewed on a yearly basis
Where will I be based?
St Columba's Hospice Care, 15 Boswall Road, Edinburgh
Who will I be volunteering for?
Hospitality Lead and Head Chef
Who else will support me?
Catering team, Estates & Facilities Manager, Volunteer Services team
- Interview with Volunteer Services Manager and Hospitality Lead
- Application Form
- Two references
- Volunteers must be 18 or over
- Hospice Volunteer Induction Programme
- Hospice Orientation
- Catering Induction Programme
- 1:1 training for the role, provided by Head Chef / a member of the Catering Team/ Hospitality Lead
- Group supervision / continuing professional development updates
- Hospice Chaplains are always available to support volunteers
- Volunteers may claim reasonable travelling expenses for transport to and from the Hospice, or the place you volunteer, e.g. one of our retail shops. Please speak to your manager about this.
- The Hospice provides complimentary tea and coffee to all volunteers, staff, patients and families as part of the hospitality strategy.
- If you volunteer for a full day at the Hospice, you can claim a free meal from the staff café or Iona Café. Please speak to your manager about this.
You can apply online here
Alternatively, please email us at email@example.com to request a paper application form, or to ask us any questions about the role
Download a role description